Greetings from the temperate rain forest of Sitka Sound. We live at the edge of the Pacific Ocean and on the edge of an island named Baranof. Our view to the west is a stunning volcano which is snow-capped in the winter named Mt. Edgecumbe. One cannot help but be influenced by the landscape here, the rugged mountains, the forests and the surging sea. My artwork is immersed in this imagery from the kelp baskets, pendants and pins I make from locally-gathered macrosystis and bull kelp to raku sculpture and paintings of marine mammals.

Welcome to Lake Chapala, Mexico.

Welcome to Lake Chapala, Mexico.
This where I now live. We are a community on the north side of Mexico's largest lake at 5000 ft. above sea level. The weather runs about 70 degrees year round except for the months of May and June which are hot. Our rainy season starts then which I, as a Sitkan, relish. (never thought I'd say that after living theTongass National Rain Forest for 12 years.) Everything grows here--just take a cutting, stick it into the ground and in a month, you have a new plant! The local people are friendly, the arts community is thriving; I never run out of image ideas for my own art.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008














The first piece is entitled "Save Some Herring For me" and is raku. It's my protest against the commercial sac roe herring fishery here each spring which I feel is depleting the resource. The piece on the right is a macrosystis kelp basket
.


These photos are of a ceramic sculpture of a basketmaker holding a small lidded basket.

No comments:

Winter Nights Arts © 2008 Jan Steinbright